Tuesday 12 March 2013

Day 9... Esk
























Day 9... Esk...

The drive out to Esk was picture perfect... it was everything that you would expect from country QLD and more! I know people travel to QLD for the beaches and they ARE very beautiful but seriously... the country is where it is at! I had so many moments where my heart started pounding in my chest because of what I was seeing... for example - driving over the Wivenhoe Dam; it is a huge structure... very man-made-looking... nothing at all organic about it... and it is set in most enchanting wonderland of natural goodness... it was quite the spectacle.

The town of Esk was so charming and I think it is my favourite place I have visited so far. It is such small town, very quiet and peaceful... and it is made to look even smaller because it is guarded by a huge precipice... green and rocky and full of drama. The first stop that I made in Esk was at small house just on the edge of the main street... I was drawn to it because the front yard was full of old rusty things... have a mentioned that I love rust? I pulled over and straight away a man appeared from beside the house... a man I would soon know as Phil. Phil was very friendly and talkative and more than happy to chat about his collection of 'antiques'... He told me that he had set up his garden in the hope that it would attract some tourists...  it had been very quiet in town since Christmas. Phil showed me a display shed that he had built out the back and I could tell that he was proud of his efforts... :) and he should have been... Phil has one arm... and he doesn't let that stop him from doing the things that he is passionate about...  I think my favourite thing that I saw in his 'garden' was an old bike that was hanging up in a tree... Phil told me that his Dad used to have the same bike when he was a boy and how he remembered that his Dad used to ride it to work everyday and that one day he (little Phil) decided to take it for a spin, wrecked it and had to give up his pocket money for a time... I enjoyed hearing how Phil was emotionally connected to the things that he has collected... he was passionate and I liked that. I think that Phil is lonely, perhaps a little lost and disillusioned... but he is kind and generous with his time and I feel like I am better off for meeting him. :)

The next stop was 'Nash - Gallery and Cafe'... set in a lovely old Queenslander. Each of the rooms was filled with crafts, pottery, paintings, gifts and essential oils... in the middle was a counter and sweets cabinet... out the back was the kitchen. At the counter I met Sandee... Sandee makes the best vanilla slice I have ever tasted! The filling was smooth and velvety, light and fluffy (not heavy and gluggy like so many vanilla slices)... I sat at a table on the airy deck that was so full of light, drank my coffee and listened to the lovely tinkling of birds singing. I felt so calm and at home... and at that moment... I wished I lived in Esk. There was a soft breeze and butterflies floated and fluttered by... the air was so clean... It was lovely. 

It was time to move on... so I walked around the town... through parks, down the road and I found myself (like I so often do) under the bridge. I don't know why I am so drawn to the underside of bridges... am I searching for the elusive troll? Maybe? Am I at a vagabond at heart.. looking for a sheltered spot to lay my head? Maybe? Am I interested in finding the UNSEEN things in this world...? Yes... and so... down I wander to the hidden part of town... I look at the graffiti and search for whatever it is that I am always looking for... I take some photos and then I emerge into the SEEN parts of the picturesque town. My time in Esk is up and I jump in my car again... and head off home...  

19,830kms on the dash... 2,885kms down

xo


2 comments:

  1. Hi Tahnee. I love your blog so far! You should do a little tour of the Lockyer Valley soon. Laidley, Forest Hill, Gatton and Grantham. Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashleigh... :) Thanks! I am glad you like it! Yes I definitely will ... such a beautiful area! Good suggestion! xo

    ReplyDelete